OCC Office of Adminstrative Proceedings

Judicial & Legislative Services
Frequently Asked Questions


1. What is the Office of Judicial & Legislative Services (JLS)?
JLS is the agency's hearings division. The Corporation Commission (OCC) may act as a court of record within its areas of regulatory jurisdiction. The OCC's JLS manages its hearing procedures, trial and exhibit recording, transcription requirements, court document filing and processing, and indexing/research systems.
2. Are there two (2) offices maintained by JLS?
Yes. There are two regional service offices that maintain a staff of administrative law judges (ALJ), court reporters, court clerks, and support personnel. The Western Regional Service Office is located on the First Floor, Jim Thorpe Building, 2101 North Lincoln Boulevard, Oklahoma City.  The Eastern Regional Service Office is located in Suite 114, Kerr State Office Building, 440 South Houston Street, Tulsa, Oklahoma.
3. What are JLS's office hours?
Office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
4. What is the jurisdictional scope of the two offices?
The Western Regional Service Office conducts hearings in all areas of the agency's constitutional and statutory regulatory authority. The Eastern Regional Service Office may hear only oil and gas conservation and enforcement cases. This means any hearing involving public utility rates and consumer complaints; motor carrier citations or applications; pipeline, transportation or railroad applications or complaints; or petroleum storage tank applications or complaints will be conducted in Oklahoma City unless specially arranged by the OCC.

Oil and Gas Conservation (CD)

1. What is Spacing?
Drilling and spacing units are established by an application, notice, and hearing process that results in a judicial order of the Commission, which establishes a geographical area in which only one oil and gas well can be initially drilled and produced from the geological formation listed in the order. The spacing unit places all royalty interest owners into a community for the purposes of sharing in production from oil and gas wells in the unit.
    A Spacing order does the following:
  • Establishes the size of the unit,
  • Names the formations which are included within the unit,
  • Divides the ownership of the unit for the formations into the "royalty interest" (1/8) and the "working interest" (7/8).
  • Puts all the owners of royalty interests (whether leased or unleased) into one community,
  • Establishes that each unleased "working interest" (7/8) owner has the right to drill within the unit, and
  • Establishes an area within the unit where the well may be drilled.
More education on Spacings.
2. What is Forced Pooling?
Forced pooling is an application, notice, and hearing process that results in a judicial order of the Commission which establishes options for working interest owners in a spacing unit to either elect to share in the proportional cost of a proposed oil and gas well, or accept compensation and a royalty interest in production in exchange for the right to participate in unit wells.
More education on Forced Pooling
3. What is Optional Procedure?
Optional Procedure is described in the OCC Rules at OAC 165:5-13-3.1. Generally, testimony is submitted to the Administrative Law Judge in affidavit form, not with live testimony. Notice, Order, and other applicant requirements remain unchanged.
More education on Optional Procedure
4. What is Well Location Exception?
A Well Location Exception is an application, notice, and hearing process that results in a judicial order of the Commission which establishes exceptions to footage tolerances from the unit boundary for the oil and gas well affected by the order.
More education on Location Exception
5. What is Increased Well Density?
Increased Well Density is an application, notice and hearing process that results in a judicial order of the Commission which allows for the drilling and production of additional oil and gas wells for geological formations listed in the order.
For more education on Increased Well Density
6. Can I change the venue of a Conservation Division application from Oklahoma City to Tulsa or vice versa?
Yes. A party can request a change of venue from one Regional Service Office to the other by motion approved by the Commission's ALJ in the office where the application is initially set. The Commission's procedure regarding change of venue is governed by Rule of Practice OAC 165:5-1-8.
7. How can I protest an application on the Oil and Gas Conservation Docket?
Begin by reviewing the documentation about the case, the CD Application and Notice, the cause number, applicant's name, legal description, type of relief sought, location of hearing, and date for the initial scheduling. Any affected person or legal representative can enter a written protest by filing a pleading or sending a letter of protest to the Regional Service Office prior to the date of hearing. The letter will be filed in the public file of the application and should be addressed to the "Court Clerk, Oklahoma Corporation Commission." It should list the cause number, applicant's name, legal description covered by the cause, type of relief sought, location and date of the hearing, name and contact information of protestant, and a clear statement of intention to protest the granting of the relief requested. A copy of this letter should be mailed or faxed to the applicant's contact person and attorney listed in the notice. The fax numbers for the Court Clerk's offices are: Oklahoma City (405) 522-4517 and Tulsa (910) 581-2597. If it is faxed, the original letter must be mailed or delivered to the Court Clerk's Office within five (5) days of the fax.
    Without formal response to the application or an entry of appearance and protest, two important points should be understood:
  1. Forwarding an e-mail complaint through the Consumer Services Division's complaint form will not be sufficient to protest the application.
  2. When a party sends a letter but does not appear in person or by telephone to request the cause be set on the protest docket, JLS will consider the letter an element of the application for the applicant's representative or expert witness to address.
  3. At the initial docket call, the protestant will announce the protest by the following recommended steps:
    1. Appear yourself or through a legal representative at a Regional Service Office and announce a protest at the time of the docket to the ALJ who calls the docket in the other Regional Service Office.
    2. Announcement of a protest will cause the matter to be rescheduled on a protest docket at a future date. Protestant may participate in a protested hearing by telephone, if the other parties and the ALJ agree.
8. How do I participate in a telephone hearing?
The telephone call must be placed at protestant's expense unless the connection is made from one of the Commission's Regional Service Offices to the other (not from an Oil and Gas Conservation Division's District Office.) Respondent may participate in an uncontested hearing with the permission of the ALJ.

Court Clerk's Office (CCO)

1. How do I obtain Daily and Weekly Dockets?
Click on Commission Court Filing on the website. Select either "Weekly" or "Daily Dockets" (PDF).
2. Where can I find Pre-Hearing Conference and Scheduling Forms?
The JLS homepage - click on forms.
3. How do I review a case filed with the Corporation Commission?
At the Commission Court Clerk's Office (CCO). Case files may also be viewed on-line on the OCC homepage. "OCC Documents - Document Image Access - JLS Orders and Case Files."
4. How do I find the Commission Rules?
The OAP homepage - click on "Other Links", General Rules or Rules of Practice.
5. How much does it cost to file an application with the CCO?
The fee for filing CD, PD, PSD, PUD and TD applications is $100.00. There is no charge for CS or OSF applications.
6. How much does the CCO charge for copies?
$.25 per page
7. How do I file documents by facsimile with the CCO?
Fax original documents to (405) 522-4517. The original hard copy of the document must be filed with the Court Clerk's Office within 5 days from faxing.
8. How do I find images of Commission pleadings?
The Commission Homepage. Go to OCC Documents, click on Document Image Access, click on OAP Orders and Case Files. Search by Case number, Order number or file date.
9. Can I print a list of cases pulled up during a search using Case Processing?
Yes, click on the printer icon (print current screen).
10. How do I search by Applicant name?
In the first field select Cause Name. In the #1 field, it should initially come up with Cause Number already selected. In the #2 field, select Like by clicking on arrow, highlighting Like and left click. In the #3 field, type name exactly how it appears on the Application. Click ADD ENTRY and GET RESULT. You can also type part of the name and use a wild card * for the remainder of the name. It will pull up all names with the characters up to the *. (Please refer to OCC Database Instructions.)
11. How do I download Oracle Initiator with company firewalls?
Download as normal. If you are still unable to pull up Case Processing, disable firewalls or call Information Technology (IT) Help Desk @ 521-3636.
12. Will I be able to use Case Processing with a Macintosh computer?
Please contact our Information Technology Help Desk for technical support @ 521-3636.
13. Why are some images blacked out?
Probably you are using an older version of Microsoft Explorer, or an older version of a Tiff viewer. You can update these on our website.
14. Can I search by legal location?
Go to Case Processing Web Application. In Field #1, highlight and click Section. In Field #2, leave as equals. In Field #3, type your section. Click Add Entry. Go back to the #1 field. Click on arrow, highlight Township, and left click. Leave field #2 as equals. In field #3, type your township. For example: 08n. Click Add Entry. Go back to Field #1. Click on the arrow, highlight Range and left click. For example: 10w. Then click "Add Entry" and "Get Result." Note: When entering a single digit legal location, you will need to add a 0 in front of the 4. For example: 04. When entering your township, add the 1st letter of the direction at the end of your township. Example: 17n or 10s. When entering the range, add the starting letter of the direction at the end of your range. It would be "w" for west, or "e" for east, etc. Example: 11w or 07e. (Please refer to OCC Database Instructions.)
15. Can I search by filing date?
Yes. Go to Case Processing Web Application. In the #1 field, highlight and click "Filing Date." If you are looking up a specific date, leave field #2 as equals. If you are looking for filing dates spanning more than one day, highlight and click between. In field #3, type your filing date, or dates. Example: 05/01/2009. Click "Add Entry," and then "Get Result". (Please refer to OCC Database Instructions.)
16. How do I find the relief codes for a specific type application?
Go to Case Processing Web Application. In field #1, click the arrow to the right, highlight and click on Relief Type Code. Leave field #2 as "equals." In Field #3, click the arrow to the right. It will bring up a listing of all relief codes. Highlight and click the desired code. Click "Add Entry."
17. How do I view an image through the Case Processing Web Application?
Open the case in Case Processing. Highlight the case and click on the "Docket" tab.  It will bring up a docket listing of pleadings filed. Highlight desired pleading, click "View Document" tab or "View All Documents" tab at the bottom left of the screen. (Please refer to OCC Database Instructions.)
18. What is a wild card in a Case Processing Search?
It is a way to retrieve names, case numbers or filing dates with incomplete information. A valid wild card would be * or %. This is good for multiple character searches. Example: "John Doe*" or "John Doe%." This will retrieve all names that start with John Doe, and have any number of characters following. (Please refer to OCC Database Instructions.)
19. How do I search for a specific case number?
Go to Case Processing Web Application. In the #1 field, click on the arrow. Highlight and left click "Cause Number." Leave the #2 field as equals. In the #3 field, type your nine digit cause number. For example: 200901485. Then click "Add Entry." Leave #2 field as "equals," and in field #3 type your case type. Click "Add Entry." Examples of Case Types would be: CD, PD, PUD, etc. Click, "Get Result." (Please refer to OCC Database Instructions.)
20. What is less than, like, equals, between, etc. and how is it used in searches in Case Processing?
These parameters are used to search for like names, between filing dates and exact Cause or Order numbers. The "Greater Than, " "Less Than" parameters are used in "before or after search." (Please refer to OCC Database Instructions.)

Court Reporters

1. How do I order a transcript?
If your Cause Number has a T, please call the Tulsa Office, (918) 581-2206. If it does not have a T, please call the Oklahoma City office, (405) 521-2486. You will need to provide the Cause Number and the hearing date. The correct reporter will be notified of the transcript order.
2. How much does a transcript cost?
The base rate for a transcript is set by statute. At this time that rate is $3.50 per page.