The Railroad Section:

If you encounter a crossing that is blocked by a non-moving train for a period of more than 20 minutes, or if there is an emergency, call the toll-free emergency number posted at the crossing. Look for the Department of Transportation (DOT) number on the sign and be sure to include that when you call. Here are some on-line examples of railroad signs.

If you own property adjacent to a railroad track and have livestock on the property, please see OAC Rule 165:32-1-10 for criteria to obtain a lawful fence. You must first notify the appropriate railroad of the need for a lawful fence before applying with the Commission for assistance. The Application for Lawful Fence is available on this site.

Railroad crossing rules can be found in Chapter 32 of the Commission’s Rules.

More information is available in the final report of the Oklahoma Railroad Grade Crossing Safety Task Force (1998).  The task force was charged with reviewing and developing recommendations for improving highway rail crossing safety.

slide show